Wednesday, August 26, 2009

250 Words: Perplexed Librarian (continued ...)

How many of you recognized the anger in my recent posts?

I am angry still. Hopefully, I am expressing anger in a socially expectable manner. (If you think my anger appropriate, please tell me.) It seems to me there are a number of people in the country, and Sacramento, who have earned an MLS sometime in the past, call themselves "Librarians," but do not act like librarians. They act like managers more interested in impressing those holding the purse-strings than the public served.

It is difficult to place a value on what a librarian does for the public. The intangible understanding of information, knowledge of sources, and wisdom of experience has to be coupled with thinking like a librarian. Every Librarian is different. Every Librarian offers an intangible value to the Public with whom they work.

People who manage libraries think like managers, not librarians, especially if they are divorced from the public. Making decision based upon good managerial experience is different from making decisions based upon good librarian experience. It is as important Management listen to Librarians as it is the Librarian listen to their Managers.

Dear Management,

Don't patronize us by pretending to listen. If you've already made up your mind, be honest and say so. But, if you haven't worked with the public daily for some time, I suggest you pay attention to what we have to say.

Still Perplexed,

Gerald F. Ward

1 comment:

  1. "Don't patronize us by pretending to listen. If you've already made up your mind, be honest and say so."

    That's one of my pet peeves and a pervasive issue at SPL. On Monday I told someone in management that they should work the circ desk for a few weeks so they'd stop having crazy ideas. (I imagine I can be just as guilty, having an MLS but not doing any "librarian" work.)

    I appreciate you sharing your views!

    ReplyDelete